Monday - Thursday
10 am - 8 pm
Friday and Saturday
10 am - 9 pm
10 am - Noon AT RISK MEMBERS
12 pm - 8 pm General Swim
Labor Day hours -- 10 am - 9 pm
June 10, 2020
We hope you have enjoyed the start of summer at Sherwood. This pool season, like many things recently, is different. We have implemented policies to promote social distancing and decrease potential transmission of COVID-19, while at the same time ensuring your enjoyment of Sherwood to the extent allowed during Phase 2. This is a fluid environment, but we want you to be aware of our current policies and procedures.
Executive Order No. 141 has different user capacity requirements for swimming pool facilities:
1. the maximum number of people permitted on deck areas, which includes wading pools; and
2. the maximum number of people that can be in the pool itself at any one time.
The formulas for determining how many people can be on the pool deck and how many people can be in the water (which are both based on square footage) are different and allow for more people to be on the deck than in the water. Our maximum occupancy for people in the water (for the big and medium size pools combined) is 54 people. To ensure we operate within our limit, it may be necessary to request members to voluntarily rotate out of the water and/or off the pool deck. To date, we have only had to do this twice. We appreciate everyone's cooperation with this process.
We decided not to implement a reservation system at this time because we can comply with the Executive Order without one and we do not want to limit members to a certain time block unless it becomes absolutely necessary. We have also implemented a rigorous cleaning and disinfection routine, so there is no need to close the pool to sanitize. Furthermore, the demand to use the pool has been manageable to date and the vast majority of members have told us they do not want to use a reservation system if we can avoid it. We are recording when members enter and exit the pool area, so if we end up with a capacity issue those who arrived first will be asked to exit the pool area so other members can also use and enjoy the pool area.
In addition to user capacity requirements, we are also required to do the following:
1. Post signage about social distancing and instructions that people who have been symptomatic with fever and/or cough should not enter;
2. Conduct daily symptom screening of workers, using a standard interview questionnaire of symptoms, before workers enter the workplace;
3. Immediately isolate and remove sick workers; and
4. Perform frequent environmental cleaning and disinfection of high-touch areas with EPA-approved disinfectant for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19).
On top of what is required, we have implemented the following NC DHHS recommended procedures:
1. We adjusted our maximum capacity to a lower number to provide a reasonable number of users on the pool deck. We are well below our maximum capacity;
2. We moved the checkout away from the guard shack;
3. We created a system for an accurate head count of occupants at any given time – but please be patient with us as we continue to improve the process. Also - please note the Sherwood App check-in is a social feature that was built pre COVID; therefore, it does not provide an accurate headcount. If you would like to know how many people are in attendance at the pool, please call the guard shack at 336-273-9941.
However, we cannot guarantee that the number of people present will remain the same from the time you call until the time you arrive;
4. We measured and marked the pool deck so chairs and loungers can be maintained at proper distances. Please do not move the furniture outside the blue squares. Extra chairs are available to members and may be moved to an existing chair grouping, if needed, please ask a guard or pool attendant for assistance with additional chairs;
5. We designated the area along the fence line closest to Cone Blvd. and the adjacent area by the diving well as “extremely low density” area ~ this is not an area to congregate in. Please do not add additional chairs to these areas;
6. We placed markers on the floors in the restrooms, hallways and snack bar to indicate proper social distancing;
7. We designated entrance and exit doors for the restrooms and snack bar so occupants do not come face to face;
8. We limit the restrooms to one person (or family) at a time and we have closed the locker rooms;
9. We limit the number of swimmers per lane during swim practice to promote social distancing;
10. We advise the staff to stay 6 feet away from each other to the extent possible;
11. We discontinued the Lost and Found;
12. We ordered plexiglass barriers for check in and the snack bar (they should arrive any day...it’s been slow);
13. We posted menus on the snack bar windows and at the guard shack, so you are prepared to order when you enter the snack bar. You can also order food by texting Peggy at 336-935-9530 or 336-455-5035;
14. We discontinued the self-serve water cooler and cups and removed the self-serve condiments, straws and napkins; If you need condiments or napkins, please ask the snack bar staff for some;
15. We hired additional pool staff to ensure proper sanitation and disinfection and to support members with the new protocols;
16. Staff cleans and disinfects high-touch areas (e.g.,doors, doorknobs, bathrooms, , handrails) with an EPA approved disinfectant once an hour or more as needed;
17. Staff disinfects tables, chairs and lounges between every use. Any chair propped or folded down is CLEAN. When you leave the pool, please tell a staff member where you were sitting, so they can immediately sanitize the pool furniture you used;
18. Staff frequently checks/refills hand sanitizer, soap and hand drying materials in restrooms;
19. We have hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol) available at the pool entrance and other areas on the pool deck (look for these spray bottles labeled “Hand Sanitizer”);
20. Staff washes their hands or uses hand sanitizer immediately upon reporting to the pool and frequently throughout the day:
21. We allow members to bring their own chairs;
22. We discontinued pool parties and other gatherings;
23. We limit guests to two 2 per family; and
24. At this time Sundays from 10 am - 12 pm are designated for at risk persons and/or members who prefer to use the pool with fewer people present. The guards and attendants will wear masks at the front gate area, but will not be wearing masks while they are lifeguarding and while carrying out other lifeguard duties as this could be hazardous.
We hope that with all these measures, you can enjoy the pool and socialize with friends to the extent comfortable. We recognize that members have different comfort levels and make the best choices for their families. We have attempted to honor such. We will continue to comply with all applicable regulations and ensure our policies are followed; however, the board and staff are not the “COVID Police.” Everyone should be respectful of each other’s personal space and choices (to social distance or not). If you are uncomfortable with someone’s distance from you, please let them know. We will do our best to keep the membership informed as we make changes or additions to our procedures.
Thanks for helping make Sherwood such a wonderful place to be!
Your Executive Committee